Applying for probate in London need not be a complex process. There are certain rules that must be followed, so it is helpful to know what those are and in what order they apply. This set approach also helps make the process smoother for you at what is a difficult time.
Once you are ready to file for probate, to do so in London you, or someone on your behalf, must go through the London Probate Office. This is the gateway for registering probate in the London area. There are 11 other District Probate Registries and another 18 Sub-Registries around the country, all administered by HM Courts Service. You can find the one closest to you using your postcode on the gov.uk website.
What is probate?
When someone dies and has left a will their executor, or a beneficiary if no executor has been appointed, will need to administer the will. While probate may not be necessary in certain cases – such as when a spouse passes away and the surviving spouse inherits the estate and it is below a certain value – it is the legal process for dealing with an estate. Our frequently asked questions page sets out answers to the most common questions.
The steps to be followed when dealing with the estate of a deceased loved one are as follows:
- Check that there is a will and have the estate valued
- Apply for probate
- Pay any inheritance tax that may apply
- Collect any assets related to the estate, such as money from any sales, and pay off any remaining debts
- Prepare and keep a record of how the estate is to be split amongst the beneficiaries
- Distribute those assets to the beneficiaries in accordance with the wishes set out in the will
You can find full details of how to manage wills, probate and inheritance through the government’s dedicated webpages.
How Probate London can help
At Probate London we are here to help make the process easier for you. We know that this can be a particularly difficult time and the last thing you need is extra work and stress. We offer the following services to take the pressure off your shoulders:
- UK probate. Assisting with the administrative process from start to finish wherever you may be in the UK.
- International probate. Assistance with estate management where there are assets overseas or the deceased lived abroad.
- Contentious probate. Help where a will is contested, including advice, administration assistance, and legal support if required.
Let us help you
When it comes to probate, we are here for whatever you need and whenever you need us. Don’t struggle to manage it all – get in touch with us and we can take on a lot of the administrative burden. Contact us at Probate London for an initial, no-obligation discussion from an experienced, professional, and compassionate team. Alternatively, fill in our contact form below and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible.